Sign up to volunteer at Stone Soup Kitchen, providing meals to the homeless. WestM organizes volunteer shifts for Tuesdays during Fall, Winter and Spring terms. WestM coordinates volunteers from the OSU Community (Students, Faculty, Staff, Alum, etc.) for these shifts. Please sign up for several shifts as we always need help.
To sign up please visit our online form:
Winter Term 2023
If you’re already signed up, please read the information below. Please abide by the following schedule and rules when participating:
Stone Soup Kitchen at 1st Christian Church, Corvallis
These are details for those of you who are new to volunteering with us at Stone Soup Kitchen. WestM organizes the volunteers who serve the Tuesday evening meal through the facilities of 1st Christian Church, 602 SW Madison Street. The church is located adjacent to Central Park on the corner of SW 6th and Madison Streets. For those of you driving, there is some limited parking in the lot behind the church. We ask that volunteers go around to the back parking lot and enter the church through the lower doorway near the train tracks.
No particular skills are needed – just a willing spirit to serve and to connect with our guests. The work will all be supervised by experienced folks. While the space and meal is fully accessible, due to the nature of the work we can only accommodate 1-2 volunteers in wheelchairs during the service shift only.
Some food safety and other issues we need to attend to:
- Covid vaccinations are required of volunteers to help keep our diners and volunteers safe.
- When volunteering you must be wearing shoes that are closed – no sandals or flip-flops. This is an issue of safety for you as well as safety for our guests (dirty feet may bring in bugs that aren’t helpful for food safety).
- You need to be free of cuts or open sores on the your hands or forearms.
- You should be free of any symptoms of gastrointestinal illness (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea).
- Report all injuries, even minor scrapes, to shift manager.
- Treat every person with respect.
- Show up when you are expected and stay for full shift. ( If you cannot, notify Rob in advance.)
- Contact Rob if you become concerned about someone’s inappropriate conduct – volunteer or diner.
- Keep confidential any private information you learn from diners or volunteers.
All Volunteers Must Complete These Two Training Requirements
1. Annually everyone must watch the “Civil Rights Training https://ofbportals.oregonfoodbank.org/home/trainings/fundamentals/civil_rights
2. Either have a valid OR Food Handlers Permit (Good for 3 years) https://www.orfoodhandlers.com/eMain.aspx
Or Annually watch this Food Safety Video https://ofbportals.oregonfoodbank.org/home/trainings/fundamentals/food_safety
Please let me know when you have completed so I can record them in our records. If you do the Food Handlers route please send us a copy we can keep on file.
United Campus Ministry @ Westminster House