Sign up to volunteer at Stone Soup Kitchen, providing meals to the homeless. WestM organizes volunteer shifts for the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays during Fall, Winter and Spring terms. WestM coordinates volunteers from the OSU Community (Students, Faculty, Staff, Alum, etc) for these shifts. Please sign up for several shifts as we always need help.
To sign up please visit our online form:
Fall Term 2018
Sign Up On Line Today
Winter Term 2019
Sign Up On Line Today
If you’re already signed up, please read the below. Please abide the schedule and rules below when participating:
Stone Soup Kitchen at 1st Christian Church, Corvallis
Tuesday evening meal Service (2nd and 4th Tuesdays Fall, Winter, and Spring Terms)
These are details for those of you who are new to volunteering with us at Stone Soup Kitchen. WestM organize the volunteers who serve the Tuesday evening meal through the facilities of 1st Christian Church, 602 SW Madison Street. The church is located adjacent to Central Park on the corner of SW 6th and Madison Streets. For those of you driving, there is some limited parking in the lot behind the church. We ask that volunteers go around to the back parking lot and enter the church through the double doors from the parking lot. Proceed down the half flight of stairs and the kitchen will be the next door on your right.
For 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month, we usually divide the volunteer time into two shifts:
3-5 PM to help prepare the meal, set up the dining room, and clean up after our prep process.
5-7:15 PM to help serve the meal, wash serving dishes, and clean up the dining room and kitchen after the meal.
Students may volunteer for either or both shifts on any given 2nd or 4th Tuesday.
No particular skills are needed – just a willing spirit to serve and to connect with our guests. The work will all be supervised by experienced folks.
Some food safety and other issues we need to attend to:
- When volunteering you must be wearing shoes that are closed – no sandals or flip-flops. This is an issue of safety for you as well as safety for our guests (dirty feet may bring in bugs that aren’t helpful for food safety).
- You need to be free of cuts or open sores on the your hands or forearms
- You should be free of any symptoms of gastrointestinal illness (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea).
- Report all injuries, even minor scrapes, to shift manager.
- Treat every person with respect.
- Show up when you are expected and stay for full shift. ( If you cannot, notify Rob in advance.)
- Contact Rob if you become concerned about someone’s inappropriate conduct – volunteer or diner.
- Keep confidential any private information you learn from diners or volunteers.
If you are interested in signing up to volunteer or need to communicate about volunteering, please sign up online at the top of this page https://osuwestm.wordpress.com/activities/stone-soup/ (If that’s not working contact email@example.com).
United Campus Ministry @ Westminster House